There will be an eclipse on Wednesday, January 31. Read the USA Today article about the upcoming Supermoon, blue moon, lunar eclipse. According to Vedic knowledge:
- Because during an eclipse there is imbalance physically, it is suggested that people not eat or drink during the eclipse because the body does not process food and water correctly. Wait to shower, drink, and eat until 10 minutes after the eclipse. It is okay to drink up to 10 minutes before, just not during the eclipse.
- It is advised not to look at eclipses. Even if you do not look at the eclipse, the effects of an eclipse last 3-6 months. It states in the Vedas that as a result of an eclipse, there can be changes in nature and natural disasters can occur.
- During the whole lunar eclipse, it is best to stay inside and not look outside or even allow moonlight in starting 10 minutes before and finishing 10 minutes after the eclipse. During the eclipse, it is best to meditate or chant or sleep – a good time to go inward. Find out when the eclipse is visible in your area from timeanddate.com.
- Because the moon is not directly visible in Asheville starting at 7:30 am, Panditji said that at Mount Soma, we just need to stay out of the moonlight from 5:45-7:45 am. This is also the period when we should not drink or eat. We can eat, drink, and shower after 7:45 am. He suggested we do our group meditation starting at 9:00 am. At 11:00 am, we will clean the temple floors. After 11:00 am, we can offer a white flower to the Moon, and do Pradakshina 9 times while chanting “Shri Sum Chandraya Namaha.”
- The moon signs most affected by this eclipse are Cancer, Leo, Libra, Capricorn, and Gemini.
- About the Supermoon:
- With a Supermoon, the earth is closer to the moon, bringing more Soma; and the moon is closer to the sun, bringing more Agni.
- During a full moon, especially during a Supermoon, the tide comes in and there are bigger waves. The same happens to the emotions, which is why there is more lunacy on full moons. The moon influences emotions, will, and mind. This choppiness happens on new moons and full moons – people are affected by both. Brilliant moons are more upsetting than less brilliant ones.
- The Supermoon can affect the rest of the year. It also influences all the planets. It especially affects those with a debilitated moon in their Jyotish chart.
© Michael Mamas. All rights reserved.